Sunday, August 28, 2011

Silver Dagger

The other night when I was closing the shop there was at least some consolation entertainment for the late-night browsers - I got to usher them out to listen to a bunch of guys serenading someone acapella style at the next-door cafe. Ok, it could have been a proper choir or maybe a flash mob, but I like to think it was suberbly organised romancing going on!
An acapella aside: I went to a birthday party once where the birthday girl's boyfriend suddenly and his posse of mates suddenly cut the music, stepped forward and started a full-on seranade, replete with well-practiced harmonies. At first I was shocked but then burst out laughing when he got down on one knee to express the depth of his emotion. This guy was funny. ...no-one else was laughing though, in fact, they looked moved. So this was the passionate Latin American sterotype I'd been waiting for - it surpassed even my expectations.

At home, I searched online to see if any of the many phone-videographers had posted the song but my search instead turned up another acapella perfomance in the neighbourhood. I'll put it down to dodgy sound-recording equipment, but what it sounded like was a group of women enthusiastically murdering a song I love. So instead of posting the cafe pop-acapella performance, or the lynch squad, or even the Equadorian quartet, here's the a good version of the folk song I love - Silver Dagger.



and here's a version by 'White Antelope' (Robin Pecknold from Fleet Foxes) - beardy I know but you can close your eyes to contentrate on the music - he is!:

No comments:

Post a Comment