Sunday, August 7, 2011

Making Macedonian Ajvar with Song From Vaska Ilieva

At a friend's place the other day I was offered a wonderful snack - pita bread topped with fresh avocado and ajvar. What's ajvar? I'd never heard of it. My friend just knew it was some Macedonian relish her flatmate bought from a specialty store. Some relish alright, it was delicious - all smoky delightfulness. You can imagine my delight then when I found large jars of it for sale a couple of days later in our local supermarket - not in the least a specialty store. I of course bought some and within a couple of days of my flatmates discovering it (also for the first time) it was gone. Maybe I should learn to make it, given how much of it we could potentially get through a month. I found this video online though and, lovely and communal as it looks, I think you'll agree it may just be a bit more time consuming than anything I had in mind. (So if you see it for sale, try a jar and support your local shop).

No comments:

Post a Comment