Friday, July 8, 2011

I'll do my lovin' in the wintertime

I've been hibernating a little this winter which is silly because my house is easily one of the coldest places to be - colder than sitting outside most nights! But the promise of good live music the other night lured me out of the house and down to Fremantle. The company of my old flatmate Andre and Freo friends added with the relaxed atmostphere at Kulcha and warm tunes of two local bands made for a very warm evening.

As you may have noticed, many new bands I like still sound like they are old - like they're from the 60's or 70's. This band Big Old Bear from the Perth hills sounds even older though, like an oldtime bluegrass band full of harmonies and fiddles. Here they are perfoming their version of a song that is 100 years old!



This next one is just two of them singing what I believe is one of their own songs. (I couldn't find anything else on the internet with that title).


They also did a cover of a song I love, 'Morning Birds' by the Be Good Tanyas.


I love that Be Good Tanya's video but I also love this version by Jolie Holland:


Also check out the other band that evening, The Lonely Brothers, an all-girl band from Fremantle who describe their music as having a 'folky roots-ish sorta sound with bits and bobs of jazz phrasing, pop hooks, orchestral strings and worldly rhythms, tying it all together into an old-but-new sound'. They met at highschool and are still very young and ever-so polite- thanking me personally when I went to the bar at Kulcha to buy one of their albums. The 5 track album I bought IS really rather obsessed with loneliness but has one upbeat song on it. Their website has other tracks you can listen to, too. They're very feminine, esp for brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment