Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lost in the Stars - music of Kurt Weill



One of my best record store finds was in Masterton. In highschool - I was about 16 - I found a new second-hand record store, that was exiting in and of itself. A record I found there, and the guy obligingly let me listen to, was possibly life-changing. It's always hard to say, isn't it? But without stumbling across Kurt Weill/ Bertold Brecht's songs interpreted by a range of modern musicians, would I have grown to love tango, or Brecht's style of theatre or sung so much in front of the mirror pulling ugly faces?

Music like this saved my life in 1990's Masterton where the radio stations offered very little outside of the top 40 (none of the songs in their top 40 would have made it to mine - and probably visa versa given my radio-listening classmates reaction to my musical choices).

I had a bit of trouble finding the versions as featured on that album - only Surabaya Johnny is the same one - and sorry the clip starts late. Try not to watch the clips -at least the first time as they are dull and while the music is good. So listen and judge.





No comments:

Post a Comment