Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Ye Olde Porridge Cake



November and still pretty warm here (like 20 + degrees!) but some cool foggy mornings beg a nice bowl of porridge. Our toddler won't touch it though so I had leftover porridge today and as I was in a cake-making mood anyhow, wondered 'is there such a thing as a porridge cake?'. Of course there was. So here's the first search result that came up. I reduced the amount of sugar a bit as I just couldn't bring myself to add that much, and our eggs were small so I used an extra one and the texture was still fine - a crunchy caramelised top and a moist crumb inside. - My cake had an odd shape as I used scrunched baking paper (in a hurry) instead of greasing the tin.
I decided just to make the plain cake to start with to get a feel for it and would like to try some variations in the future with coconut etc - perhaps even a healthier version. This one was very nice though, and the toddler was delighted! 


Leftover Porridge Cake

 by  jrdnjlly on BBC GoodFood

Ingredients
1/2 cup Butter
2 cups Sugar
2 whole Eggs
2 cups Cooked Porridge
1 1/4 cup Flour
2 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2-3 tsp Cinnamon
Optional Additions: Shredded Coconut, Chopped Nuts, Diced Apple.

Method
Preheat oven to 180C/fan
Cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the eggs and porridge. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon (and any other extras e.g. nuts). Add to creamed mixture and mix well.
Pour into greased and floured 6cm x 26cm cake tin. Bake for 35 minutes or until it tests done.

Extra: Top with either cream cheese icing, or a caramel glaze with chopped nuts and coconut, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment